Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Another recipe! {Sweet Treats}

Anyone who knows me knows that while I absolutely love to cook, on most days anyway, I am not much of a baker. I can make decent cookies and other simple baked treats, but I really don't enjoy baking as much as I do cooking. With cooking, I can close the recipe book and let my senses do most of the work.. smelling, tasting, mixing flavors.. I often refer to my husband and kids as my "guinea pigs". With baking, however, I find that in order to make a succesful bake good, you have to meticulously follow the recipe. Not to mention it makes a HUGE mess.
Unfortunately for me, I married a man with a sweet tooth and a taste for home-baked desserts. I have my wonderful mother-in-law to thank for that one. She baked on a regular basis when he was living at home and he and my father-in-law would eat and eat to their content.. sadly, they now live across the country and Rob can no longer enjoy his mother's baking. (Maybe I should convince her to send him a care package, once a month, like a university student? So mistreated, my poor husband..) While I have taken over her tradition of making an apple pie on Christmas Eve, I seldom bake..much to my husband's dismay.
When I do bake for my family, I like to experiement as much as I can.. which is why I decided to try this recipe for a gluten-free flourless chocolate cake. It did turn out well.. a dense, chocolatey cake that sort of resembles a brownie. It doesn't need much on top, but I garnished it with some raspberries and a ganache using the leftover chocolate squares from the cake.

Without further delay..

Flourless Chocolate Cake
2/3 cup butter, chopped
4 squares (112 g) Semi-Sweet Chocolate, chopped
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
1 tsp. Instant Coffee , dissolved in 2 Tbsp. hot water
3 eggs, separated
2 cups ground almonds

Oven: 325ยบ
Heat butter, chocolate, 3/4 cup granulated sugar and coffee until butter is melted and chocolate is almost melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
Beat egg yolks. Add to chocolate mixture with nuts; mix well. Beat egg whites in small bowl with mixer on high speed until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining granulated sugar until stiff peaks form. Gently stir into chocolate mixture just until blended. Spoon into greased 9-inch springform pan.


Bake for one hour or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.






I am currently working on the DITL. I'm aiming to have it up by Friday. :)
 

1 comments:

Farren said...

Wow, that looks and sounds incredible! I'm celiac and LOVE hearing about gluten-free tasty baking! Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.