Monday, February 14, 2011

Meatless Monday {The first of many}

Carnivores. I am, and my family are guilty as charged.

We try to eat healthy. We also try to buy & eat local as much as possible, shopping at the farmer's market for honey and vegetables, and grocery stores that carry Ontario-grown produce, growing beans, tomatoes, lettuce and snow peas in the summer.. shopping at our local butcher and buying milk and ice cream from our 100% canadian owned and operated dairy. We can also get organic, farm fresh eggs all year round from a beautiful family-run chicken farm that is located 5 minutes from our home.

For the most part, I could do without meat. I don't need it to feel full, and I know that I can find the proteins from other sources. While I do enjoy seafood like no other (born and raised by the ocean - hello!) I could go weeks and weeks without missing meat.
My husband, on the other hand, is a carnivore. Plain and simple. He feels, quite simply, that a meal isn't complete without some form of MEAT.
I try my very best to come up with creative, nutritious and filling meals that are meat-free on a regular basis (at least twice a week) to show him that no, we don't need meat to have a beautiful, rounded meal.. and that there are plenty of healthy and yummy alternatives.

Behold. Meatless Monday was born.

This will be my first post, and every week from now I will be trying my best to post a healthy, delicious and completely meat-free recipe for yourself and our family to enjoy. Don't worry- I'll be sure to guiney pig my husband and kids first. ;)

9 Bean SoupYou will need the following dried beans:
- Whole Green Peas
- Whole Green Lentils
- Split Red Lentils
- Pinto Beans
- White Beans
- Red Beans
- Light Red Kidney Beans
- Black Beans
- Back Eyed Beans

You can find these at your local bulk food store. Stock up!! Dried peas and beans are a must to have on-hand in your pantry.

Other Ingredients:

2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Onion, chopped
3 Cloves of garlic, minced.
4 Stalks of celery, chopped
2 Cups of dried beans
5 Cups of vegetable stock
3 Cups of water
3 Cups of stewed tomatos (with juice)
S&P to taste

Soak beans in water for aprx 12 hours.
Saute onion, garlic and celery in olive oil for a few minutes until the onion is transluscent.
Add beans, stock and tomatos and cook over Med. heat until it comes to a simmer. Lower heat and continue to simmer for 1-2 hours. Add water & salt and pepper as needed, according to taste & preference.

Nom.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.