Sunday, February 27, 2011

Keeping things simple. {Only trying to, at least}

Do you ever find yourself wishing for something different?

We all do it, dreaming and wondering what life would be like "if only..." I am perfectly content with our life as it is. More than content, I am grateful. I have been blessed beyond measure. I have been given 3 beautiful children, I live in a home that is warm and cozy and filled with laughter. I have great neighbors and friends and family that I can count on. I have a husband who I know really loves me and is the best father to our children and partner to me that I could have ever hoped for. We have healthy meals on our table every night and clean drinking water and two vehicles and a cat who is like another child and running water and a swingset. We have plenty of things we don't need like televisions and a computer for each family member and little wicker balls that sit in a basket on the kitchen table.

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who dream of big houses on acres of meticulously kept lawns and housekeepers and expensive cars and linens on big, four-poster beds and while I readily admit that coming across a large sum of money and living debt and mortgage free would be wonderful, it isn't what I find myself dreaming of. I find myself dreaming of a life free of all the little extras and complexities that we surround ourselves with. Wishing that we were born in a different time, when life was simpler and we didn't let the little beauties in life pass us by quite so easily.
If I had my way, we would rid ourselves of as much of our complicated life as we could as live self-sustained. We would be surrounded by those that we care about and not have to resort to email or a 10 minute long phone converstation to know what is happening in their lives at that moment.

For now, I will let the "if only's" stay where they belong. In my head.
As for my life, I will try my best to apply these ideals as best I can. I will teach my children the value of the little things and teach them the difference between a need and a want. I will try to teach them to be grateful for the lives they live the things they have, and to place relationships and love above material possessions and money.

If I can accomplish even one of these things, I will feel like a successful parent, and I will be a happy mother.
:)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.