Thursday, September 8, 2011

To My Son {the 6 year old}


My dear, dear, Kaleb;

Today you turned 6. We had a great day. You requested "Spaghetti and Meatballs" for dinner and I made a cheesecake with raspberries for dessert. It turned out a little wonky because I couldn't get it out of the pan but you didn't complain.
You woke up with a smile, despite it being your 3rd day of school in a row. As usual, you start the day with a little unintended humour:

"Why do I have to go to school on my birthday? Can't I just take the day off?"
That's you. You make us laugh all.the.time. You are so funny and you don't even realize it. But boy, do you love seeing us laugh.
This year has had it's ups and downs and I hope you know how proud we are of you. You went through therapy like a champ and you've improved so much, because you've worked so hard. Even when you really, really didn't feel like it.. you'd look over at me, and then you'd finish.
Just for me.

This is a big year, you started Grade One, meaning that you now go to school every day, just like your big sister. I know it makes you feel big. And you are..
Sometimes when I go in your room before I go to bed, just to check on you and pull your blanket from around your neck.. (where it always seems to end up.) I stand back in awe and I just stare. Sometimes I even call Daddy in.

ROB. He is SO BIG. He looks like a teenager in his bed.

As bittersweet as it all is, we love you, and we love watching you grow and learn. We are incredibly blessed to have such an amazing son in our lives. I love you, Monkey.

Happy Birthday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.