Thursday, July 7, 2011

Home Sweet Home {Part Two - Dining Room}

Welcome to Part 2 of 8 of our little home tour. You can find Part 1 - Kitchen; here.

Our dining room might be one of my least favourite rooms in the house. That's not to say that I don't like it, per se, but it just is not one of my favourites. Mainly because it doesn't really get used more than once or twice a year, and is just a room with things in it that I have to clean. Har, har.
A small corner of the room has been dedicated to being Rob's little office space for about a year and a half. He recently moved his things into it, once we were finished renovating, and since the man is so often strapped to his desk, it's nice having him on the same level as us.
While it isn't my favourite, it is the most rewarding to look at.. Oh man. The dining room was A HOT DAMN MESS when we bought this house. There was old, weird, pasted-on wallpaper, a false brick wall, the stairs were bare cedar, the walls were in dire need of repair, it just was no the prettiest thing you've ever seen. As far as furniture, we didn't buy anything new for this room. There's a table that needs refinishing, an enormous (and heavy) china cabinet that houses a bunch of crap, a beautiful teacher's desk that I picked up at an auction for Rob (which he promptly refinished- and did a beautiful job) some paintings from a local shop that imports from indonesia, an antique record player (again from the auction) which is used for photos and will one day be a liquor cabinet, a cedar chest full of blankets (hello 1700's house with no storage closets..) and my late father's guitar.
In case you can't tell, I have a hard time deviating from brown when it comes to painting.. and as you continue to see into our home, you'll start to notice the trend continuing through much of the house. I'd love to experiment with different colours, but all of our things are so earthy and country, I have a hard time pulling things together without brown walls.
Anyway, without further delay, I present to you Rob's office, part time dining room. I've included a few before pictures of the disaster for your viewing pleasure.
Enjoy!











0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.